It's Cool in Kenya

 It's Cool in Kenya

When I set off for a short trip to Kenya from the sweltering summer heat of northern India, my first thought was, "How much worse can the weather be in Africa?" After all, Africa and scorching heat seem almost inseparable in our imagination.

I couldn't have been more mistaken.

The moment I landed in Nairobi, I was greeted by a delightful surprise. July in Kenya is beautifully cool. With temperatures ranging between 13°C and 20°C, the weather was simply perfect—a refreshing gift after weeks of oppressive heat back home. There was a gentle nip in the air, crisp mornings, pleasant afternoons, and an enchanting freshness that made every walk a pleasure.

But it wasn't just the weather that was cool.

The first few days were spent in an engrossing workshop alongside some of the coolest colleagues from Kenya and across Africa. They had the remarkable ability to turn long technical sessions into enjoyable conversations, peppered with infectious humour and punctuated every now and then by spontaneous dance energisers. Learning was serious, but the atmosphere was anything but. Laughter came easily, friendships formed quickly, and the occasional dance break reminded us that work and joy need not be strangers.

Another thing that immediately caught my attention was the effortless sense of style all around. Kenyan men, by and large, sported extremely short haircuts, often trimmed down to just a few millimetres, giving them a clean, neat, and practical look. The women, however, were a living gallery of creativity. Their elaborate braided hairstyles were simply stunning. There seemed to be no end to the variety of intricate patterns and designs that could be woven from their beautiful, naturally curly African hair. Each hairstyle appeared to tell its own story, blending artistry, culture, and personal expression. Everywhere I looked, there was another braid that made me pause and admire the incredible craftsmanship behind it. They were, quite simply, very cool.

Then there were the meals: fresh, vibrant, and equally cool. Plates overflowed with exotic fruits bursting with flavour, while a thick, tangy yoghurt called Lala quickly became a favourite. Simple, wholesome, and delicious, it was the perfect accompaniment to every meal. Every bite seemed to celebrate the freshness and richness of Kenya's land.

No trip to Kenya would be complete without experiencing its wildlife. Just a short drive from Nairobi lies a world where nature reigns supreme. Our safari brought us face to face with some of the coolest creatures on earth. Giraffes grazed gracefully, zebras wandered in striped elegance, lions rested with majestic indifference, cheetahs scanned the horizon, rhinos lumbered through the grasslands, ostriches sprinted across the plains, baboons entertained with their playful antics, while antelopes and impalas bounded effortlessly through the wilderness. They all went about their lives completely unperturbed by the stream of humans eager to admire them, as if to say, "You're the visitors here, not us."

As I reflected on the journey, I realised that Kenya had pleasantly overturned many of my assumptions. It wasn't just cool because of its climate. It was cool because of its people, its infectious spirit, its vibrant culture, its food, its wildlife, and the easy rhythm with which life seemed to unfold.

Sometimes, the best journeys are those that gently dismantle our stereotypes. I travelled to Africa expecting relentless heat. Instead, I found cool weather, cool people, cool hairstyles, cool food, cool wildlife, and countless cool memories.

If there's one thing I'll always remember about Kenya in July, it's simply this:

It's cool in Kenya.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Falgu: The Hidden river

Mumbai and Memories

The Singalila song